Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Over and Over and Over Again!


When I think about how I already passed FAR and REG but I lost them while trying my hardest to pass BEC it makes me beyond frustrated.  It's not that I gave up trying. I was sitting for BEC every window! But I know I can pass FAR and REG! I did it once. I will do it again. Not my choice. But my motivation will carry me on.

I did sit for FAR last window and did not pass.  I know I didn't give myself enough time to study and relearn the concepts. I didn't want to lose REG in the process. However, I did. Again, not my choice! How did I pass FAR before but not during the retake. My strategy is simple: over and over and over again!

Before I received any of my passing scores, I had a conversation with one of the managers from one of our other offices.  (Apparently I am the "shared" staff member so I office hop A LOT!)  It was the first day I went to meet her to help out with a job.  She took me to lunch.  We didn't talk about the job I was going to be completing for her. Instead we talked about my career goals. She knew at that time I was studying for the exam.  She told me to do the questions over and over again until they become second nature to me. At this point I was watching the lectures, reading the textbook, taking notes, and studying notes.  But as we know with FAR there was so much material and my time was running out. I needed a way to cover the material and fast as my scheduled appointment was quickly approaching. (I am not a believer of rescheduling. I am a procrastinator. The longer I have to study, the longer I will take to study. It won't be more studying for me.) So I took her advice. I did the questions over and over and over and over. I read the reasoning why I answered it right or why I answered it wrong. This was my strategy until exam day.

I will never forget the feeling I felt when I opened the envelope from NASBA that Friday afternoon in December. 76! I PASSED! What I learned was how to read the questions, figure out what they are asking, and how to narrow the choices down. I might not have known the right answer but by process of elimination I was able to guess and my guesses paid off. I "over'd and over'd" this process two more times. Once for REG the following window. Then once for AUD two windows later. (I took the next window off for tax season.) It didn't work for me with BEC. But I don't have to worry about BEC.  Right now I have to worry about FAR and REG. And over and over and over and over works!


No comments:

Post a Comment